langley-bcLiberty Lawn Maintenance is proud to serve the City of Langley, BC as well as the Township Of Langley, BC, Canada.

As many know, there are two parts to Langley BC as stated above.

 

 

 

 

There are several regions within Langley as well:

  • Milner
  • Willoughby
  • Walnut Grove
  • Fort Langley
  • Aldergrove
  • Port Kells
  • Brookswood
  • Willowbrook

 

The City Of Langley

The City of Langley is a municipality in the GVRD or as many call it, Metro Vancouver.

It is situated next to Surrey BC (Cloverdale) and bordered by the Township of Langley along the North, South, and East.

At first the land was settled by Europeans, namely Adam Innes. Then in 1911, it was named Langley Prairie and was associated as part of the Langley Township.

It soon pulled away from the township and incorporated in 1955.

 

The Township Of Langley

The Township of Langley is a district municipality in SW British Columbia. It has the USA to the south, Surrey is to the west and Abbotsford to the east.

Similar to other municipalities, the land was previously inhabited by Aboriginal people. Not too much is known however, because most tradition was passed down from generation to generation through words rather than written.

Hudson’s Bay Company (European) traders were the first to settle in the area.

It was in the year 1827 that Fort Langley was built along the banks of the Fraser River (Derby Reach is the name of the area today).

Interestingly, it was one of a string of trading posts that were created and placed along the Pacific Coast to compete with American fur traders for the rich pelts available in the region.

It wasn’t long that Hudson’s Bay Company grew quite quickly. Along with that growth Fort Langley became a hub for fur trading, farming, and smithing.

One particular Aboriginal group, The Kwantlen, were of particular importance and were a big part of the salmon trade that later operated out of the famous Fort Langley.

Salmon and farming soon replaced fur trading as the fort’s main source of income.

Gold was struck in 1858 in the Fraser River throughout the interior of BC and Fort Langley became important as a supply station for the adventurous miners heading up the river to go after the gold.

Thanks to the literally thousands of gold prospectors (a lot of them American) flooding BC, the British government created British Columbia as a colony.

James Douglas was sworn in as the new colony’s first governor in Fort Langley, but New Westminster was eventually chosen as the capital, as Fort Langley was less defensible from an American invasion.

Along with the gold rush decline, so did the relevance and importance of Fort Langley.

Subsequently, HBC had to sell off parts of the company and that included its farm on Langley Prairie.

Farming and logging took over as the dominant local industries.

In 1870 a man by the name of Paul Murray settled what is known today as Murrayville. Together with his sons he owned a quarter section of land on each of the four corners of Yale Road and what now is 216th Street.

For those who don’t know the area between 216 street, 216A street, 48th ave and 48A avenue is one of the oldest subdivisions in Langley.

For those who are even more curious about facts and figures, of the 8 building lots in this subdivision there are still 6 heritage houses (built before 1930).

On April 26, 1873, The Township of Langley was incorporated.

Despite the urban development in New Westminster and Vancouver, Langley Township remained predominantly a rural community. The growth of transportation would continue to connect Langley Township with its surroundings as is commonplace during this time in history.

 

Services Provided To Langley BC